Have you ever wondered, what does Plus Size really mean. Often times we think of Plus Size as something negative. It's something that we don’t want to admit to or if we do, we think we will be categorized in the ‘chubby girl’ category. As I pondered on the concept of Plus size, I thought about what the word Plus means in our lives and how we use it. Here is some food for thought:
- Remember in school when Plus was something that you strived for? It meant that you exceeded your goals and expectations, you were so excited to see it on an exam or paper. Or in some cases like a D+, it meant that you were teetering on brink of not having to take a class over if you could just eek out a few more points.
- I think of my Grandmother and my Aunts who were all Plus-sized women, but growing up it was not about their dress size or bra size, it was about the unconditional love they gave me every time I saw them. It was always a Plus to be in their presence and gain whatever knowledge and wisdom I could from them.
- In our vitamins and supplements, Plus usually means that extra something that is suppose to be better for us and make us healthier.
If we look at how dictionaries define Plus it has a very positive meaning.
- When Googling the word Plus, as a noun, it means- an advantage.
- Dictionary.com defines Plus as 'having a certain quaity to an unusual degree.'
- Merriam-Webster dictionary defines Plus as ‘having, receiving, or being in addition to what is anticipated.’
Bottomline, for those of us who have embraced our ‘plusness,’ it means that we celebrate our hips and curves and know that we are magnificent, stupendous and yes have ‘an advantage’ of having more to love and more to give.
And ladies, make sure that you also clean out your drawers and recycle your gently used bras so that women and girls who are in need can also get the opportunity to have a bra that fits. Plus-size bras are always in demand in shelters and transitional programs.
The Bra Navigator